It started out to be a “routine” day…

I’m sure all of you have had days like that – when life was going along in its normal “routine” and suddenly a watershed moment alters everything.  I have certainly had a few others in my life.  Last Saturday was a not too busy bee call day for me.  Some friends stopped by for a little while and I did some routine chores around the house.  In the evening, I piled my dirty dishes on the counter to prepare to wash them and sat down on my sofa just prior, in order to work on my weekly Bible study lesson – it was just a little before 7:00 p.m.  Charcoal was there with me.  Suddenly the house began making that familiar shaking that I have grown accustomed to here.  It starts out feeling like a large truck passing on the road (but trucks don’t have that affect when they pass by here).  We both sat frozen for a moment as I waited to see if it was going to dissipate or escalate.  After we began experiencing occasional tremors about a year ago, I figured I’d better look up on the internet and see what I should do in an earthquake.  I discovered the “stand under a doorway” was false.  They also say not to run outside because of toppling buildings or power lines, although I could get away with that here.  But the real issue is time – you just don’t have any when it starts.  So the “get under a strong piece of furniture or against an inside wall” became my plan.  Almost every other tremor I’d ever felt, happened when I was in bed.  Some were so light I wondered if I’d really felt anything (although you feel them more when you are upstairs).  But most are so fast, they are over before you even have time to realize it.  Only one has happened while I was downstairs and was enough to make me get up and start for my desk, only to have it stop before I got there.

My earthquake "safe place."

My earthquake “safe place.”

But this one was different.  After just a few seconds, I realized this was going to be big.  I bolted from my sofa just a few steps away, threw my chair aside and made it under my desk that’s in my kitchen (and on an inside wall), just as things really started to shake.  Charcoal bolted at the same time and I called to her, but had no idea where she went.  Then things went crazy – drawers started opening, items started falling from shelves, I heard a huge crash of glass and then the power went out.  The news said it was 40 seconds – it felt like much longer.   I just prayed and asked God to help and protect me and Charcoal.  But I wasn’t afraid.  When it was all over, I waited a few moments to see if it had stopped.  My heart wasn’t racing, I wasn’t panicked – I was totally calm.  I reached up into the desk drawer where the flashlight was.  Then I immediately checked my cell phone to see if I had data to be able to reach anyone back in the U.S. to let them know I was OK.  I had no data or even cell coverage (I could see the light was out on the tower on the hill just outside my house).

I knew I didn’t have shoes on and was mindful to check the floor for glass and walk carefully to the sofa to retrieve my flip flops.  I had no idea what might be broken or damaged.  I walked through some water and checked with the flashlight to determine it was a mixture of a large plastic bottle of mineral water that had fallen from the top of my fridge, and a vase of flowers that had toppled over on my table and spilled (but amazingly did not roll off and break).  I immediately began calling and searching for Charcoal.  My biggest concern was that wherever she had gone she’d gotten injured.  As I cautiously proceeded up the stairs, I heard water running.  When I stepped into my bedroom my foot sloshed in it.  I still kept looking for Charcoal and couldn’t locate her anywhere.  I finally went back to my bedroom and tried opening the bathroom door and could not.  I ended up having to force it open and discovered this:

I realized this was where the water was coming from that was flooding my bedroom.  I calmly prayed and asked God what to do, while trying to remember where my contractor had told me my master water shut off was.  Fortunately, I realized there was a toilet shut off (I know that is a no-brainer for some, but not this maintence challenged girl).  Believe it or not, I remember this being an after-the-fact thing that was pointed out for me that my builder didn’t do, and I made them add it in later.  Thank God it turned easily and the water stopped.  I listened for other leaks, but didn’t hear any and checked the other bathroom to find it still intact.

I finally located Charcoal cowering under the guest bed.  I’d missed her on the first pass, because she was way at the head of it.  I then began the process of mopping up the water in my bedroom.

Shortly after, I heard a horn honking and looked out the window to see my neighbor Ed’s car at my other neighbors Mark & Diane’s house.  I figured I’d better check in, so I went with my flashlight to meet up with them and find out if everyone was OK.  Our little volunteer Workaway couple showed up shortly after – they were at the hotel bar next door when it hit.  We were relieved everyone was OK.  We had no idea whether we just experienced a “direct hit” earthquake right under us or what – we tended to think we were the epicenter of say, a category 5.0 or so.  Little did we know the extent of the devastation and that what we had just experienced was mild in comparison.

We all had our respective messes to clean up and my house had the most urgent damage.  Ed offered a battery operated industrial light and wet vac to help with my cleanup, but we quickly realized the wet vac would not work without power.  I fully expected we’d be without for days.  Ed took me to his house to get the light, brought me back to mine and came in to help me do a “second eyes” walk through to make sure there was nothing big I’d missed.  After he left, I continued mopping.

Shortly thereafter, Diane came to my window and said a tsunami alert had come through on her phone.  Although it didn’t list our area specifically, they were going to go ahead and take our volunteer workers to higher ground.  She offered for me to come, but said it would be about 6 hours before it would arrive.  She said Ed & Jo were staying for now, so I asked her to let them know I’d like to leave with them later if need be, but I wanted to get the water up first, since my wood closets, bed and nightstand were standing in it.

When I finally completed that chore, I went back downstairs to see if I could get any cell service or data.  I had weak data and then suddenly all these texts and messages flooded my phone from people here who were checking on me.  I responded to all, especially Bill & Elaine, who had sent several messages and tried to call – they were quite worried.  By this time it was an hour and a half after the earthquake.  I then immediately published my blog post, knowing if word was out about the earthquake, that people would be worried.  Then I managed to have enough data for a call off my Vonage extensions app (thank God for T-Mobile international cell data plan and Vonage!).  I called my “spiritual twin brother,” who had yet to hear about the quake.   I filled him in and he prayed with me.  I told him I was going to shut off my data service after we spoke, because it eats battery faster and I had no idea when we would have power restored.  He said he would check the internet and send updates for me to look at when I got back online.  After we hung up, I checked my earthquake website and saw there had been 25 quakes at that point, their magnitudes and where they were located.  I realized this was a major deal.

I figured I’d better pack a bag in case we had to evacuate.  I got Charcoal’s carrier out and readied it.  I retrieved my passport, bank card and cash and put them in a safe spot in my bag.  I got out Charcoal’s tracking collar that I had stopped using, loaded it with a new battery, tested it and put it on her.  I then gathered a pair of tennis shoes and socks (that I never wear – flip flops are everyday footwear here), a 1.5 liter bottle of water, my Bible, a photo of my mother, my iPhone and iPad and Robert’s dog tags and heart rock.  That was all I needed.

It was very still and warm without the a/c or fans, so I went up to try to sleep in my rooftop hammock and keep one eye on the ocean.  But despite applying natural mosquito repellant, I was getting bit so I came back inside.   I looked up on the internet and discovered the tsunami threat had been lifted – at the most we would get a 3-4 foot wave, which wouldn’t affect me.   I slept in my guest room and Charcoal stayed under the bed.  I think I finally fell asleep about 12:30, but still continued to feel some slight tremors.  However at 2:30 a.m. I was awakened by a significant aftershock that sent me heading for the stairs to get under my desk again, but it stopped before I got down.  I looked at my phone and returned what I thought was a call I’d just missed from Elaine, but it was one they had placed earlier.  They were awakened by the shock too.  To my grateful surprise, right after we hung up, the power came back on!  I quickly set up a fan in my bedroom to help dry out under my closet and turned on the a/c for its dehumidifying feature.  I still didn’t have internet, but used data to respond to some messages I’d gotten from people who don’t get my blog.  I then began recharging my cell phones.  I finally fell back asleep about 4:30 and awakened at 6:30 sunrise.

The following morning I slowly began the process of adjusting to what had happened.  I touched base with neighbors again and cleaned up the mess in my bathroom.  Bill & Elaine had previously planned a patio party for that night (Sunday) at their house.  I messaged her and she said it was still on.  I had made my food the day before and had planned to ride the bus in early and hang out for most of the day, taking Tag to the beach, swimming in the pool and visiting with our friend Rick, who is here from Canada for a month.  However, I was no longer up for a full day of those kinds of plans.  My new friends Kelley and Jeff from out there were still without power and came in to the hotel next door to charge phones and use internet (I still had none).  They emailed to let me know they were there having a late breakfast.  I suddenly realized it was noon and I had not eaten dinner the night before or breakfast that morning, so chef John’s French toast sounded really good!  I walked over to join them and they offered afterwards to wait for me to get my stuff together and give me a ride out to Mirador San Jose (their development).

It felt surreal and almost selfish to be floating in the pool when we knew just an hour north of us in our weekly shopping town of Manta, there was total devastation.  But it was good for everyone to gather, share their stories and reflect on how very blessed we felt to have been protected as we all were.  It finally hit me this morning that had it been a week day, I and/or many of my friends would likely have been in Manta or Portoviejo, two of the most devastated areas, doing routine weekly shopping.  But because it was on a weekend just after sunset, most everyone was in their homes.

The unsettling aftershocks continue.  At last count we have had 371 earthquakes and aftershocks since this all started.  Make no mistake about that word – “aftershocks” are still just smaller earthquakes that keep happening all over.  In fact, I just had one a little while ago right offshore from me as I was writing this post.  It was a 4.7 right off the coast almost due west, between me and the island.  It had me heading for my desk again – I guess this is my “new normal.”  Charcoal is practically living under the guest bed now. 😦

Here's the latest earthquake I just felt. It was due west of me - I am at the top I-15 mark.

Here’s the latest earthquake I just felt. It was almost due west of me – I am at the top I-15 mark.

In my next post, I will tell about the devastation we are hearing about firsthand from some of our friends who live in Manta, including Jim and Jane.  One English speaking Ecuadorian friend who formally lived in the U.S., lives in one of the hardest hit (and poorer) neighborhoods.  Thankfully he and his family are all OK, but his home and car (which was his livelihood) were demolished.  Edwin is a strong and faithful Christian and a few of us are working on a GoFundMe campaign to help him recover.  So if you want a place to give funds to help someone near and dear to my heart, please stay tuned!

5 thoughts on “It started out to be a “routine” day…

  1. So thankful you are well! Thank you for sharing your story – I feel much to far away, even knowing what little I could offer there. What helplessness is felt in such tragedy!! I can’t imagine how surreal it feels there – but it is so hard for me to imagine! Praying with you.

    • Hi Jamie – yes, it is a helpless feeling even here, knowing there is so much devastation and not knowing what to do to help. But we all do what little we can and trust God to multiply it. The word you used is the one I’ve used over and over – it’s the only way I can describe what I’m feeling as I still process the ramifications in waves – surreal. Thanks for your prayers!

  2. Thank God everything is OK and I just wanted you to know that I’m thinking of you all the time 🙂
    I love you and praying for you and Charcoal – of course!

  3. Thank you for the detailed account. I’m thankful you are safe and that God has blessed with you friends and that they are all safe. Love you Mary.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s